Just in case you don't think there is any rhyme or reason to this dinner blog, here it is: It's a rotating week. Monday Beat the Blues Comfort Food; Tempting Tuesday; Casserole Wednesday; Tasty Thursday; Featured Friday (where I feature a special person and their recipe); Saturday Side Dish; Sunday Soups/Scoops/Specials. Each week I'll be blogging on a different day, so there's something new about every eight days.

NOTE: This blog will be changing. Stay tuned for a new look and routine of when I will post.

Friday, September 16, 2011

Feature Friday—Becky Povich

A big welcome to Becky Povich as my Feature Friday guest. Becky claims she doesn’t cook much, so I told her she could share anything she wanted. Becky sent me her favorite meatloaf recipe that she received from her niece, Renee. Becky says, “It’s the best meatloaf I've ever had!” I’m definitely going to have to give this recipe a shot.

We all know what meatloaf looks like, so Becky shared pictures of her homemade recipe book instead. How cute is that?

Here’s the front cover, the spine and the inside.

And now for the recipe.

If you have trouble reading the recipe card, here it is:

Grandma Berry’s Meat Loaf
2/3 cup bread crumbs
1 ½ pounds ground beef
2 eggs
¼ cup chopped onion
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
½ tsp. sage (didn’t use)

Sauce
3 T. brown sugar
4 T. ketchup
1 tsp. dry mustard

Soak 2/3 cup bread crumbs in a little milk. Add beef and remaining items. Put loaf in pan and cover with sauce.
Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

A while ago, Becky had sent me some pictures of her ice cream cone cupcakes that she made when she was about 10 years old. The photo of the cupcakes aren’t the ones Becky made (they’re from the cookbook) although I’m sure Becky’s were just as cute, if not cuter. If you read my dessert blog, I had written about my ice cream cone cupcakes made from a silicon mold. I think Becky’s would be better because you put the batter in the cone and bake it. No worries about the cones falling over like mine did. As Becky said, “You can eat the entire thing—no mess, no dishes.” And look at that sweet Betty Crocker's Cook Book for Boys and Girls Becky received from her mother. I just love it.

Becky has a fun sense of humor, a generous heart and is working hard on her memoir. I’m glad to have met Becky through St. Louis Writers Guild, and that we’re now friends.

You should check out Becky’s blog as there’s something there for everyone, and she always has a cool quote to go with her blog post.

Thanks Becky! And I look forward to trying your meatloaf!

5 comments:

  1. Lynn, thank you so much for inviting me to be your Friday Feature! It was really fun and I was happy to share a recipe, my homemade recipe book, and some fond memories, too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, I was reading about that meatloaf and missing dessert and then yay! The cupcake cones!

    I always thought I'd try those when my kids were little but I never quite got round to it. Maybe I'll try them now--the Beneficent Mr. Hall deserves a cupcake, don't you think?

    (P.S. I'm also craving scallops now. I love 'em--and yours looked so good!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynn,

    This is a wonderful post! The meatloaf looks great, and I think that the cupcake cones would be so good ... I remember those from the old days.

    Have a great weekend,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cathy C. and Kathy M....How about that? Two C/K-athys in one comment! Thanks to both of you for stopping by and leaving a comment. Boy, I am really getting hungry and it's much too late to eat. I better get into bed quick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey gals, yes, thanks for stopping by. Becky is better at keeping track of my blog than I am! Ha. I asked Becky if she bribed you all to come take a look! And like you Cathy, I remembered hearing about those cupcakes when my kids were younger, intending to make them some day and never did. Now I'll have to wait for an occasion and give them a try!

    ReplyDelete