Just in case you don't think there is any rhyme or reason to this dinner blog, here it is: It's a rotating week. Monday Beat the Blues Comfort Food; Tempting Tuesday; Casserole Wednesday; Tasty Thursday; Featured Friday (where I feature a special person and their recipe); Saturday Side Dish; Sunday Soups/Scoops/Specials. Each week I'll be blogging on a different day, so there's something new about every eight days.

NOTE: This blog will be changing. Stay tuned for a new look and routine of when I will post.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Fish Fillets Poached in Caramel Sauce

Now doesn’t that sound tasty? As I paged through this cookbook a friend had given me, this recipe caught my eye and I wanted to try it. It’s a Vietnamese dish and the one thing I didn’t have in my stocked cabinet was Nam Pla (Thai fish sauce). It’s also something I never remember to pick up at the grocery store. I happened to be at a spice shop, spotted it, and picked up a jar. I was so excited that I remembered and more excited that I’d get to try this yummy sounding and easy dish.

I followed the recipe. When I added the ½ cup of fish sauce, I wrinkled my nose and muttered, “Man, that stinks like dirty feet.” Confident this dish would be a favorite, I continued.

I don’t know why I’m not a taster when I cook (except when I make soups). I figure if I follow the recipe, there’s no need.

I placed the dish on the table, all bubbly about the new creation. I took one bite and the moment it hit my tongue, I spewed it back on the plate. “Oh God, that’s awful.”

My husband had more confidence in my cooking. “Oh it can’t be that bad.”

“Trust me, it is. You do not want to put that in your mouth.” I watched in horror as the fish entered his mouth and I wanted to laugh when I saw him spitting it out. That man will never learn that I’m always right.

We tossed our food outside hoping that the raccoons would take one bite and find another feeding ground.

“I thought the fish sauce smelled bad, but never having cooked with it maybe it really was bad.” Disappointed that the dish I had been craving ended up in the yard outside, it was more disappointing that I had to make something else for dinner.

“Ugh, that was disgusting. I didn’t think I’d ever say that about your cooking.”

“Well, it was disgusting.” My original smell of dirty socks didn’t fit the taste. It was more like 100 year old dirty socks that had been worn by the same dirty man who never bathed and who wore the same dirty shoe. Seriously.

Whenever I make a new dish I say to my husband, “This is new, I hope it tastes okay.”

He replies, “I’ve never had anything I didn’t like made by you… oh wait… except that nasty fish dish.”

We both scrunch up our faces and simultaneously say, “Ewwwwwwww!” Then we reminisce about how that dish was so disgusting.

No recipe for this dish, but… if you find one that you know is good, let me know. Or if you think I’ve had bad fish sauce, let me know and maybe I’ll give it another shot.

Ingredients:
Nothing

Rating & Type: Gross/F

No comments:

Post a Comment