Just in case you don't think there is any rhyme or reason to this dinner blog, here it is: It's a rotating week. Monday Beat the Blues Comfort Food; Tempting Tuesday; Casserole Wednesday; Tasty Thursday; Featured Friday (where I feature a special person and their recipe); Saturday Side Dish; Sunday Soups/Scoops/Specials. Each week I'll be blogging on a different day, so there's something new about every eight days.

NOTE: This blog will be changing. Stay tuned for a new look and routine of when I will post.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Zucchini Casserole

I can’t remember when zucchini is in season, but it’s probably close to this time of year. I’m writing some of these blogs ahead of schedule, so… I could be a little off. I can hear my kids now. Yeah, yeah, I know, I am a little off.

Sorry no pictures, but look at my Beef Potato Casserole (finished) and it’ll probably look similar. Any dish topped with cheese is going to have a close appearance, but underneath is another story. Does that go with—you can’t judge a book by its cover? I think so.

I was at a gathering where someone brought rice. (How does this fit in? There’s rice in this casserole, that’s how.) How can you mess up rice? Trust me, you can mess up rice. I avoided any future dishes made by this gal.

Then there’s my rice story (pat pat on my back). My son Casey was in town and his friend Ian had come by. They were hungry and I made some food—one being plain ole rice. Ian wanted to know what I did to the rice. I thought about that gal and asked, “What’s wrong with it?”

“Oh nothing. This is the best rice I’ve ever had.”

“Come on.”

“No, really. What’d you do?”

“Nothing, just followed the directions and cooked it.” I was embarrassed because it was so plain.

“You’re kidding, right? You had to put something else in here.”

“No.”

Ian shook his head. “Man, I can’t believe it.”

Casey looked at me with a bit of a twinkle in his eye and a slight grin. He nudged Ian. “Ian man, don’t you know… my mom’s secret ingredient is love.”

I stood there. Awwww, sweet boy, he remembered. (Mother’s gush like that.) I had made Casey a homemade cookbook with some of his favorite recipes and things he could make. I added little notes. One was to always remember to add love to your cooking because it really will make everything taste better.

There it was. Proof.

You may have to sprinkle in extra love in this dish for fussy children, after all it has zucchini in it. Either that or don’t tell them. My kids seemed to like it. Then again, could’ve been the love.

Recipe for Zucchini Casserole

1 pound ground beef
2 small zucchini
3 small onions
2 cups tomatoes, peeled & cut
2/3 cup uncooked rice
3-4 slices cheese
salt & pepper

Brown ground beef. Drain (keeping 2 Tablespoons of the fat in skillet) set aside. Slice zucchini and onion into thin slices and add to fat. Cook about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste and let simmer 10 minutes. Into a 2 quart casserole, put a layer of zucchini/tomato mixture. Sprinkle uncooked rice on top of this. Add browned beef. Sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper. Top with remaining zucchini/tomato mixture. Bake at 350 degrees covered for 45 minutes. Uncover and place cheese on top. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese has melted and is slightly brown.

Ingredients:
Zucchini
Rice
Tomatoes
Ground Beef
Cheese

Rating & Type: E/B

No comments:

Post a Comment