Just in case you don't think there is any rhyme or reason to this dinner blog, here it is: It's a rotating week. Monday Beat the Blues Comfort Food; Tempting Tuesday; Casserole Wednesday; Tasty Thursday; Featured Friday (where I feature a special person and their recipe); Saturday Side Dish; Sunday Soups/Scoops/Specials. Each week I'll be blogging on a different day, so there's something new about every eight days.

NOTE: This blog will be changing. Stay tuned for a new look and routine of when I will post.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Scalloped Potatoes

The original recipe came from Mastering the Art of French Cooking but I’ve modified it a bit. Mastering the Art of French Cooking is a great book to learn some basics about cooking though. I learned how to hold a knife. Who would have thought after all these years of cutting, slicing, chopping that I could learn how to hold a knife? I mean I only once came close to cutting my finger off. (Well, okay, maybe more than once, but only once that was serious enough to require stitches, but didn’t.) I didn’t think there was an art to holding a knife, but you’d be amazed by following the instructions in this book.

On to the scalloped potatoes. It says to peel them, but I don’t always. Skins are good for you and saves a lot of time. Layer by overlapping in a dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, sprinkle with a little Guyre cheese. The better the cheese, the better the potatoes. Keep layering. I usually do about three.

In the book, you’re to use a fireproof dish that can also go in an oven. You add some cream and heat slightly over a fire, but I skip this step and just put the dish right into the oven at 350 degrees for about 45-60 minutes or until golden brown.

The first time I made them, I followed the directions in the book.



Rating & Type: FE/V

No comments:

Post a Comment