Just in case you don't think there is any rhyme or reason to this dinner blog, here it is: It's a rotating week. Monday Beat the Blues Comfort Food; Tempting Tuesday; Casserole Wednesday; Tasty Thursday; Featured Friday (where I feature a special person and their recipe); Saturday Side Dish; Sunday Soups/Scoops/Specials. Each week I'll be blogging on a different day, so there's something new about every eight days.

NOTE: This blog will be changing. Stay tuned for a new look and routine of when I will post.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Veal Parmesan

It’s the start of my new themed recipes… Monday: Beat the Blues with Comfort Food. Only I’m having a hard time deciding what is comfort food as I seem to be comforted by most food. I’m open to suggestions.

As I thumbed through my recipe holder book, which includes recipes from various people, I spotted Mary Morreale—the former boss of my 2nd x-husband. Even after we divorced, Mary insisted that I visit with the children and always wanted to feed us. It didn’t matter what day or time it was, she was always cooking something—always home-made.

“Here honey, have something to eat.” or “Try this.” or “You should see what I made.” or “Here take this home.” She taught me a thing or two about cooking from scratch and she’d call me up when there was a sale on some meat and told me what to do with it.

“You can get chuck roast for 89 cents a pound at Schnucks. You won’t find it any cheaper. Buy as much as you can. Then grind it up in a meat grinder to make some Italian sausage.” Mary would rattle on about this spice and that to add to the ground up meat.

I’m pretty sure Mary was Italian and if she wasn’t, she should have been.

Mary was also the Queen of doll making. When I was on a vacation with future husband number 3, I had bought her a little locally made doll. But when I got home, I discovered Mary had passed away. I still have the doll and think of her when I see it.

Although Veal Parmesan may not be true comfort food, Mary sure knew how to comfort a hurting soul. Here’s her recipe for Veal Parmesan written all those years ago.

Mix egg with water. Dip meat in egg, then in seasoned bread crumbs (garlic and oregano) Fry slow til brown in skillet with a little oil. Put in flat pan, pour spaghetti sauce over, top with cheese. Cover with foil. 400 degrees for 10 minutes or 300 degrees for 30 minutes.

Ingredients:
Veal
Bread crumbs
seasoning
spaghetti sauce
cheese

Rating & Type: E/B

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn,

    What a sweet story about your friend Mary.

    I don't even think that I have ever bought veal. It sure looks easy and good though; maybe I'll give this a try soon.

    I hope that you have a wonderful week.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy, I have never bought Veal either. You could use this same recipe with chicken, I forgot to mention that! You have a wonderful week too!

    ReplyDelete